Stacking cheerios is a definitely fun. This simple activity helps your toddler/ preschooler develop fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination & learn counting. It keeps them busy for a while. For older kids you could use this activity to work on addition & subtraction.
What you need
- Craft wood sticks (you could also use skewers or sphagetti)
- Place the sticks onto the playdough. The playdough is just to hold the stick in place. ( click here to learn how to make your own PlayDough)
- Give your kid a bowl of cheerios and ask them to stack on. Kids will love to see how the cheerios slide all the way down.
- For older kids, you can challenge them – how many can you stack in 30 seconds or 1 min.
- After stacking the cheerios, you can count how many are there in each stick.
- We also stacked the cheerios in numerical order 0-10.. ( see image)
After some stacking & counting my LOs took on to playing with the playdough.. We even made a playdough man decked with cheerios. Later we ended our play by eating the cheerios 😀😀