This simple sorting & fine motor activity develops pincer grasp, hand-eye coordination, concentration & color recognition skills. Takes less than 5 mins to setup & perfect for toddlers.
What you need
- Recycle empty snack box with lids (we used Gerber lil crunchies container – Gerber Puffs or pringles can, works too)
- Single hole punch
- Labels/ hole reinforcement stickers
- Punch holes on the lid. I punched 6 holes, 1 for each color pipecleaner.
- Cut each Pipecleaner into 4(vary according to the length of your container) You could use them as is if using gerber puffs or pringles can.
- Stick labels or hole reinforcement stickers and color them (to match the color of pipecleaners) using markers.
- Let your LOs push the pipecleaners through the holes.
If your kid is too small to color sort, let them just drop and push the pipecleaners through the holes. Introduce color sorting gradually. You could use empty & clean spice containers with holes on the lid. Also for younger toddlers, fold over the ends of the pipecleaners and twist them tightly to avoid poking those lil fingers.👍
Miss D(21 months) had fun doing this. When i gave her the pipecleaners and the box she knew what she had to do and got to work. We are working on color recognition skills and this activity complemented it perfectly. She was able to match few pipecleaners with help, but was more interested in pushing them through the hole than sorting colors. We’ll get there eventually. She repeated this activity twice. Miss A(almost 3yrs old) was old for this activity, but she did try it once – just to show her sister how to match the colors. 😀