A Sensory Bin is a simple container filled with a preferred filler – let your kids explore the filler. Our favourite fillers are Play sand, Cloud Dough/ Moon Sand, Water & Rice.
This is the first rice sensory bin we ever tried and it was a huge hit with my LOs. It kept them occupied for hours. I was amazed & pleased that a small bin of rice could keep my kids entertained for so long..😀
What you need
- Rainbow Colored Rice (Click here to learn how to color Rice)
- Bin ( i used our toy bin. You could use anything – baking dish, cardboard box, Litter box from dollar store or any shallow storage bin)
- Cups, spoons, bowls (kitchen tools)
- Colour & Dry Rice Overnight.
- Fill almost 1/3 bin with rice (spreading out in rainbow fashion), leaving room for kids to explore.
- Invite them to play. Add some spoons, bowls etc and watch them play 😀
This is a relaxing and soothing sensory activity which strengthens their fine motor skills with all the digging, scooping & pouring. When I presented the rice arranged in rainbow fashion, Miss A(3yrs) & Miss D(23 months) got all excited. Miss A named all the colors and sang the rainbow song all by herself. 😀 Then they got into action – Happily mixing the rice around using hands, scooping out with measuring cups, spoons & pouring them into bowls. What a Visual Treat!! The rice looked beautiful after all the mixing. I gave the bin to them after breakfast and they were busy with it until lunch time. They went right to it after naptime and played for about an hour. We also tried Alphabet Hunt activity and Miss A enjoyed it alot. Best way to keep kids occupied on a gloomy day. 👍