This Frosty the Snowman activity tray is very simple and open ended and is perfect for busy bags. It takes less than 10 mins to set up and is so much fun for the kids while working on fine motor & color recognition skills. We paired this activity with our favourite book Frosty the Snowman.
What you need
- Felt pieces
- Cut snowman out of white felt. We got the precut ones in our christmas felt decoration pack. It had white, red & green snowman.
- Draw eyes, nose & mouth on it using permanent marker.
- Cut out matching hats & scarfs from different color felt pieces.
- From matching pipecleaners, cut 2 small pieces and bend the edges a little – to make hands for the snowman.
- Now add matching color pompoms to these cut felt pieces in an activity tray and let your LOs dress up the snowman ⛄️ as they wish.
- To make it a color matching activity – Let them color match the hat, scarf, pipecleaner hands and pompom buttons on the snowman.
One cold morning, we read the book frosty the snowman. After we were done with it, I asked my LOs if they wanted to dress up frosty and they got all excited. Miss A(3yrs) liked to dress up the white snowman randomly. Miss D picked red and green snowman and matched him with same color hats & pompom button. She dint like the idea of dressing up the red and green snowman any other way. 😜 When asked to color coordinate the snowman’s accessories, they both worked on the white snowman and dressed him up with matching hat, scarf, pompom button and pipecleaner hands. Miss A knows all her colors now – she did it like a pro and took over to random dressing up. She had so much fun making lovely combinations, twisting the pipecleaner hands for different poses, using the scarf as nose and mouth, arranging pompoms randomly on the snowman. Miss D is still on learning the names of colors. She did a perfect job matching the colors and learning their names and took off with the green and red snowman. The girls played with this activity tray on and off all morning😀