Water Beads are squishy, slippery and fun to play with. It’s a great sensory experience for all. (Yes! For all 😀) Your LOs will have so much fun with them. Although they are intended to be used for floral arrangements, its safe to be played with but not edible. So it may not suit kids who still put things in mouth. Preferably monitor your kids when playing with it.
Follow us on Facebook
What you need
- Water Beads – you could get them at any craft store or dollar store from floral section.
- Storage bin – we used toy storage bin
- Empty the water beads into the container.
- Pour water – 1 tsp beads needs 6 cups of water. It grows almost 50 times in size.
- Soak them overnight. Our pack said 8-10 hrs.
- Once big, rinse & drain. Transfer the water beads into a storage bin.
- Add any tools to it. We used heart cookie cutters, muffin pans, ice cube tray, acrylic hearts and silicone heart mould, tongs along with some cups and spoons.
- Now, your all set to play and have fun.
Miss A(3yrs) & Miss D(2yrs) had an amazing experience with these. They had so much fun playing with it all evening. I couldn’t resist – had to join in the fun and should say it was soothing & relaxing. 😀 They loved it so much, they played with it the next morning too..
D was all about scooping, pouring, filling the ice cube tray. She liked to touch, pick and squish- even broke a few. She did enjoy picking the bin and shaking it to see what sound it makes and how the bead moves.
A filled all the cups with beads. She did like to separate the acrylic hearts from beads and arranged the hearts on the silicone mold. That was some patterning right there. Also she filled each cookie cutter with beads to see which can hold more beads ( learning about measurement) and tried to form hearts with it. She also filled the muffin pans with beads and hearts. 1 bead and 1 heart, then 2 beads and 1 heart, then 2 beads and 2 hearts. I spoke to her about ratios 1:1, 1:2 and how 2:2 =1:1. Although she small for that now – just introduced the concept to her.
I like how kids learn so much while playing even without realizing. That makes learning more fun. Don’t you think?
We will be exploring more ways to play with the water beads soon. 😀
Follow us on Facebook