My kids love playing with water. Pool noodle boats are easy to make and can be added to bath tub or water table for fun water play. I came across this activity during winter and was waiting for summer to try it out. Finally made it last Sunday.
Follow us on Facebook
What you need
- Pool Noodle
- Foam sheets
- Hole punch
- Cut the pool noodle into 1-2 inch slices. These are your boats.
- Cut the foam sheets into triangles. These are your sails. Older kids can cut & decorate sails by themselves.
- Fold the sail, use holepunch to make hole for the straw.
- Cut the plastic straw and insert into the holes then into boats. You might need to make a hole using wooden dowel before you insert the straw in the boat.
- I wrote numbers on the sails for some learning fun.
Miss A(3.5) & Miss D(2.5)were very excited to play with the boats. They took the sails apart from the boat and tried to put it in all by themselves. Later, squirt guns were put into action. A tried to squirt pointing at the boats in the water.
We then took our boats to the slide. Placed one boat at a time and squirted it all the way down using squirt guns. A & D enjoyed this equally.
Then it was race time. I placed two boats on the slide, D poured a cup of water to see which boat slides down first. A used the boats as scrubs to clean the slide and get it ready for the next race. While having fun they also got to work on their number recognition skills. Everytime a boat won the race, they would say which number boat won – “boat 7 wins mummy”
This activity was so much fun. An hour of water play after which we were all wet and hungry and had to wrap up. That was one fun Sunday morning!! 😀