Happy Birthday to Us!! Its been one year since this blog Diyunlimitedfun was created – one year since the first post. We celebrated it by making Birthday Cake Cloud Dough. Its an ultimate sensory play for your LOs. You can make these around your kids birthday or even set it up on a sensory table for their outdoor birthday party or just play with it anytime around the year 😀
Follow us on Facebook
What you need
- 8 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup baby oil or vegetable oil
- In a bin add all purpose flour & oil and mix well – the texture will be crumbly but mouldable.
- We used baby oil – it smells really good. If your LO still puts things in the mouth, you can use vegetable oil instead.
- You could also add some vanilla essence for birthday cake smell.
- Add sprinkles, cupcake molds, candles, spoons, scoops etc. for your kids to play with.
Miss A(3.5 yrs) & Miss D(2.5 yrs) had a lot of fun playing with this. They loved making cupcakes & cakes, enjoyed baking them in their toy microwave. They decorated their cake with sprinkles and put candles on it. We even sang happy birthday to all their toy friends. 😀 They liked to feel the cloud dough with their hands, tried to mould it, crumble it, lots of filling and dumping. This kept them busy for more than an hour.
- Its a fun but messy play. Use a sheet to contain the mess – it is easy to clean with vaccum cleaner. Or you could take it outside.
- Store the cloud dough in an airtight container or ziploc – it stays good for a long time if it doesn’t get wet.
Moon sand/ Cloud Dough is an awesome sensory play (one of the easiet sensory bin fillers). The texture feels great on hands and kids of all ages love it. Its powdery like flour and its also moldable like damp sand. My LOs love it and it keeps them busy for hours.
This activity started as a fail because i was trying to make something else which i found on pinterest. Unfortunately it dint quite seem to work. I thought it was a fail and Miss A(3 yrs) who was eagerly waiting for something to play with got upset. But i found mixing cornstarch and dishsoap made a dough. Thought of using it like a playdough but it was too stretchy and was sticking to hands – more like silly putty (i was not keen on it). Added more cornstarch to it and it became a little powdery(guess i added too much😉). When i tried to work on it, i noticed it was moldable, even though it was powdery. It was just like the cloud dough😀😀. So, I added more corn starch and dishsoap to make more of it. This mixture was even more silkier & softer than the usual cloud dough & so I decided to call it Silky Moon Sand! It sticks to your hands(just like any homemade cloud dough), but very easy to wash off & smells really good – the dish soap was orange scented.
Click here to check other Cloud Dough/ Moon Sand Recipes
What you neeed
- 1 cup corn starch
- 1/4 cup dishwashing liquid (dish soap)
- Mix the dish soap and corn starch in a bowl. The mixture should be powdery like flour yet moldable.
- Depending on your dish soap if your mixture is very sticky add more cornstarch or if its too dry add dishsoap to it.
- Transfer the contents to a bin. Add cups, scoops, sand toys, cookie cutters, silicone molds- really anything to it.
I added the sweet shoppee play set tools which Miss As Godmother gifted for her birthday. This theme can be great for summer. But who said you cannot enjoy some ice cream during fall😋. This activity turned out to be a huge hit in our home. Miss A(3 yrs) & Miss D(23 months) loved the way the Silky Moon Sand felt on their hands. They were busy making cakes, cupcakes, ice cones and soft serves. They had a lot of fun – kept them engaged for more than an hour, after which they started dumping it on the floor.
Clean up was pretty easy. I just had to vaccum the floor and the bins and tools which we used washed off clean with water. If you worry about messy floors you could take this activity outside. We had a gloomy weather and had to stay indoors. You could also spread a sheet on floor before they start playing. But if your kids are anything like my kids (cant contain them to a place, they keep running around to find more stuff to play with it) then don’t mind 😂. Also, this activity made me appreciate the value in things even when it didn’t go as planned. 👍
Click here for other Cloud Dough/Moon Sand Recipes
Foam Dough is an awesome sensory dough – super easy to make and super fun to play with. Its somewhere between PlayDough & Cloud Dough/Moon Sand. It feels soft, fluffy and light. Kids of all ages will enjoy it. If you have older kids, let them mix the dough.. They will love it – really fun & messy 😀
What you need
- 1 cup Corn starch/Corn Flour
- 1.5 cup Shaving cream
- 6 drops of Food color (optional)
- Mix corn flour, shaving cream & few drops of food color in a bowl. Squish the mixture & knead well until it forms a moldable dough.Theres no right way to measure shaving cream. You might just have to eyeball it.
- If the dough is too dry – Add more shaving cream.
- If the dough is too sticky – Add more corn starch.
- It gets your hands messy when kneading. But washes off easily. Plus the shaving cream smells so good and feels really soft on hands.
Miss A(almost 3yrs) & Miss D(22 months) had so much fun playing with it. The dough is soft and moldable – worked great with our cookie cutters & other playdough cutters. It can also be crumbled. Miss D liked to make shapes and squishing the dough while Miss A liked it crumbly.
After abt an hour of play the texture becomes exactly like moon sand/ cloud dough.You can play as is or just add more shaving cream and knead. My LOs liked the moon sand/cloud dough texture and played with it as is, until everything was on the carpet and cant be played with anymore.😂 Since we used blue food color, the dough turned out to be icy blue.. I liked the icy blue moon sand idea – Looks cool! Although next time we will take it to our sand table.. (Lesson learnt 😉)
Thats how messy our carpet got.. But, cleaning was easy – just vaccum and its all gone😀
Storage – Wrap the dough in plastic and it stays good for upto 2 weeks. If you let it dry it becomes powdery – you can use it for sand art projects👍
Everyone loves the cloud dough. Its soft, squishy and moldable. Its an ultimate sensory activity for kids. Its smells incredible because of the baby oil used. You can also use vegetable oil to make it toddler friendly. Its super quick and can be made with just two ingredients.. Well three if you want it coloured.
What you need
- 8 cups flour
- 1 cup baby oil/ vegetable oil – i used baby oil(loved the smell)
- Tempera paint powder (if u want it coloured) – i did not have tempera powder, instead used drops of food colors to it. It just added colouful dots to the plain sand.
- Mix 8 cups of flour and 1 cup of baby oil ( i used 4:1/2, just in case- but next time im making more 😊) using a spatula until the texture becomes crumbly but moldable.
- And voila your moond sand/ cloud dough is ready.
- If you want it coloured mix tempera paint powder to the flour before adding oil. Yes its that easy!
- You can use an airtight container to store it after play.
I transfered the contents to the sand table and added some molds and sand toys to play with. Any bin or box will also serve the purpose. Its a messy play so we took it outdoors. My LOs were playing for so long i lost track of time..😀