Coloring pasta is very simple and can be done instantly. Colored pasta can be used for kids art projects, sensory play, learning activities – learning colors, shapes, sorting, counting, patterning and fine motor activities – threading, create structures or just pour it to a glass vase for a lovely home decor.. 😀
What you need
- Pasta (different types)
- Food color
- Isopropyl Alcohol(Rubbing Alcohol) or Vinegar
- Ziploc bags
- Paper Towel
- Add pasta to the ziploc bag. We used rigatoni, macroni, tortiglioni & shells. Wish i had bowtie, wheels & penne too..
- Add desired food color and 1/8 cup of isopropyl alcohol.
- Shake well until color is evenly coated. Let it soak until the desired color is reached and then dry it on a paper towel lined tray. You could also pour the pasta right away onto a paper towel lined tray and let it dry.
- Store the dried pasta in an airtight container.
We made rainbow colors ( part of rainbow learning activity for Miss A). I had Red, Yellow, Green, Blue & Violet. For Orange – mixed Red & Yellow, For Indigo – mixed Blue & Violet. It looked lovely.
If you want to make glitter pasta just add some glitter along with the food color and isopropyl alcohol. You could also use Vinegar instead of isopropyl(rubbing) alcohol.
The pasta dries pretty quickly and the smell of isopropyl alcohol or vinegar goes away as it dries. If your store your pasta in an airtight container it would stay good even upto a year or two 👍
Once our pasta was dry, we did some color sorting & threading cute bracelets… More activities to follow 😀